What Chicken?

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Hello. My name is Spider.

The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy is an organization dedicated to the preservation of rare breeds of domestic livestock and poultry. The Dominique chicken is listed as CRITICAL under the conservancy's conservation priority list. This means that there are fewer than three sources and a population of less than 500 hens. Rare breeds such as the Dominique are currently in danger of extinction.

My grandmother raised Dominiques when my mother was little. She referred to them as "Domineckers." Spider jumped on my back tonight to sit on my shoulder. She is very friendly and soft.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NSU - 4efer, 5210 - rulez

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NSU - 4efer, 5210 - rulez

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in NC and am building a coop so that I can enjoy the world of Chickens and Brown eggs. A friend of mine has offered me 6 Domineckers so with any luck one will be a rooster and I can do my part to ensure that the breed does not fade from existance.
They are a beautiful bird and would be a sad loss to the world if they were to disappear.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home